When you think of cosmetic dentistry or cosmetic dental procedures, such as dental veneers and teeth whitening, you may think it’s an unnecessary dental treatment for the rich and famous. For the longest time, cosmetic dentistry procedures have received a pretty bad rap for being unnecessary, superfluous, or even representative of vanity. But that’s untrue and unfair — sure, a good cosmetic dentist near me can make your teeth look pretty and perfect, but they can also do so much more! Affordable cosmetic dentistry procedures can improve your self-confidence, change your self-image, enhance the quality of your life, and also improve your overall oral health. This article provides a detailed overview of cosmetic dental procedures and how cosmetic dentistry helps more than just the aesthetics of your smile.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to cosmetic dental procedures that improve the appearance of your teeth, gums and bite. The primary goal of cosmetic dental treatment is to enhance your dental appearance and improve your smile, but some also have functional benefits.
What are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry procedures?
Cosmetic dental procedures are primarily meant to improve your smile. However, they also provide several other crucial improvements.
- Oral Health Improvements: Some of the cosmetic dental procedures, such as bonding, dental veneers, and dental crowns, restore your teeth’s functionality as well, covering up cracks and fractures. Furthermore, having a better set of teeth makes people want to work harder to preserve them, so they brush and floss their teeth regularly, ensuring optimal oral health.
- Bite Alignment: Cosmetic dental procedures that straighten your teeth ensure bite alignment, which, in turn, reduces the chances of teeth grinding and malocclusion.
- Confidence Improvements: Cosmetic dental procedures help you achieve a perfect set of teeth, making you more comfortable smiling with a full set of teeth. You don’t have to hide your teeth or smile through pursed lips. As such, cosmetic dental treatment can also make you a more confident person in general, improving your mental health.
- Quality of Life Improvements: When you’re more confident, you smile more confidently, which, in turn, makes you a more attractive and approachable person. As such, you’re likely to have more success in your professional and social lives. As such, cosmetic dentistry can also improve your quality of life.
What are some of the most common cosmetic treatment options available?
Cosmetic dental treatment is a broad category that includes several types of procedures, including orthodontics, prosthodontics, periodontics, and endodontics. The following are some of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures:
- Bonding: The cosmetic dentist applies composite resin material over your teeth surface and polishes them to resemble the rest of your teeth. The bonded composite resin material transforms your tooth’s appearance, covering deformities, cracks, and discoloration.
- Dental Veneers: These are thin wafers of tooth-colored porcelain materials attached to the front face of the teeth to cover cracks, discoloration, and other deformities. The cosmetic dentist shaves off some of the surface enamel to make space for the dental veneers.
- Dental Crowns: If you have a weakened or severely cracked tooth, the cosmetic dentist may remove the upper portions of the tooth and attach a dental crown to project a flawless external appearance.
- Gingivoplasty: The cosmetic dentists remove or reshape the gum tissues and gum flaps to provide the ideal and proportional gum line. This is done to help you achieve an aesthetic smile with the optimal proportion of gums to teeth.
- Teeth Whitening: The cosmetic dentists apply a whitening gel or bleaching agent to your teeth’s surface, and then apply laser light to catalyze the bleaching gel. This procedure removes the surface stains from your dental enamel, brightening your smile by several shades.
How long will each cosmetic treatment take?
The duration of a cosmetic dental treatment depends entirely on the type of procedure you need. Teeth whitening procedures usually conclude within an hour, and you can resume your daily activities immediately. However, dental veneers may take weeks because the dentist will have to prepare your teeth and order the correct set of dental veneers for your teeth. As such, you should discuss the treatment time with your cosmetic dentist.
Are cosmetic treatments permanent?
The longevity of cosmetic treatments depends on the type of procedure. Teeth whitening procedures are temporary, and their effect usually wears off within a few weeks, so you need to go for teeth whitening sessions regularly. Porcelain dental veneers last up to 10 years, though some can also last as much as 20 years or more, depending on how you take care of them. Porcelain dental crowns last for 5 to 15 years. Please discuss the longevity and permanence of your cosmetic procedure with your dentist.
What sorts of payment options are available for cosmetic dental procedures?
Cosmetic dental procedures are categorized as elective and non-essential dental procedures, i.e., you need them to look better, not feel better. As such, you can’t get insurance coverage for a cosmetic dental treatment, which means you have to pay for the treatment out-of-pocket. However, our cosmetic dental clinic can help you with financing options to ease the burden of payments, such as CareCredit and LendingPoint. Please discuss payment options with our cosmetic dental clinic staff.
Contact a cosmetic dental clinic near me today.
Sapphire Smiles is one of the most reputable dental clinics for cosmetic dental procedures in Houston, TX. Our cosmetic dentistry in Houston is a one-stop-shop for all your dental needs, including general dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. For more information on cosmetic dental procedures or payment options, please contact our cosmetic dental clinic near me.